Franz Josef or Tasman Glacier Heli Hike
The one-hour fixed-wing flight from Queenstown to Franz Josef or Tasman Glacier is certainly spectacular, but the highlight of this trip is the Glacier Heli-Hike. The experienced guides will take you into a deep part of the Franz Josef Glacier via a scenic helicopter flight. The helicopter passes over the deep crevasses of the icefalls and waterfalls to land at the upper Franz Josef icefall. From there you’ll be fitted with crampons for the two hours on the ice, exploring caves and seeing the natural, ever-changing wonder of the glacier in South Island of New Zealand.
Departure time is 9:30am, returning at 4:30pm. Winter (May 1st to September 30th) departure is 8:30am returning by 4:00pm.
What to bring:
- 3 - 4 layers of warm upper body clothing (jeans are not recommended on wet days, as they become very cold and uncomfortable to wear).
- Sunglasses and sun protection.
- A daypack, a drink and snacks are useful.
- A warm hat and gloves.
- A Camera.
- Light snacks or lunch.
Adult $1299 Child $1099
- Courtesy transport between your accommodation and Queenstown Airport
- 60 minute flights between Queenstown and Franz Josef Glacier township, taking a different route back via Mt. Aspiring if possible
- Window seats guaranteed
- 4 hour heli-hike, with 2 hours of time on the ice and scenic helicopter flights to and from the glacier
- All equipment provided: crampons, boots, socks, ice axes
*All upgrades are additional to the base pricing above
Tasman Glacier Heli-hikeThe Tasman Glacier is the largest glacier in the Mt. Cook National Park at 26km long. The entire heli-hike trip features outstanding views of the Haast Glacier, the Hochstetter Glacier and the Ball Glacier, which flow from Mt. Cook into the Tasman Glacier. Mt. Cook and Mt. Tasman are also visible during the hike, towering 2700 meters above the glacier walk ice. The helicopter flight up to the drop-off point is also twice as long as the flight to Fox or Franz Josef Glaciers. Now available year-round! The Tasman Glacier Heli-hike is less weather dependent than the Franz Josef Glacier Heli-hike, due to being shielded from the west coast by Mt. Cook. Tick the upgrade box if you'd prefer the Tasman Glacier Heli-hike.More Less
Adult $1 Child $1